Monday, September 19, 2005

Sisyphus says I have lingered too long at the castle gates; time to join that quest for the Grail, as he put it.

As we can see from Sisyphus’s last post, he is quite fed up. I personally am not ready to join his ‘militia’ and overtake passing fuel carriers. But it’s close.

We live in the Columbus Ohio area. About 8 hours before Katrina’s devastating wrath began appearing on the television stations that pass for news organizations in the country, I paid $2.48 per gallon of low-grade gasoline. The next morning, $2.99 was the best I could find. Also, our state Attorney General was on tv announcing that he had not seen any signs of obvious ‘price gouging’ by gas stations/companies.

Can someone explain this concept to me? Is it possible those stations were already negatively affected by the hurricane, and sought to reflect their losses in that price adjustment? I doubt it. Taking advantage of tumultuous situations and wringing every last nickel from a consumer who is tied to their product is the modus operandi for oil companies. I would be interested to see exactly how much profit the oil companies have posted for the last 6 months.

Some would say it’s our own fault for being to selfishly reliant on a dwindling fuel supply. I’d agree, to an extent. But where has our government stepped up to help us break this addiction? Are there any caps on the gas prices from the federal government? Has there been any incentive for companies to race to find the replacement for gasoline? No. As is typical of this country, the rich get richer while those scratching out a living can barely afford the fuel to get their jobs to provide for their families. Congressmen submit expense reports for flat-screens and mahogany desks while I debate the cost-effectiveness of driving across town.

Militias aren’t the answer, though they are tempting at times. I believe that it is the job of a president to leave the country in at least as good a condition as when he was elected. Sisyphus can debate Clintonics with me on this one, but I posit that the last three presidents have not lived up to the task. This Bush will leave office with a worse economy, worse world-wide relations, and worse conditions at home. How is this acceptable? Forget party affliation – would you have voted for any president knowing this would be the outcome?

I pray and hope for better over the next 3 years, but I do not expect it. I believe that the anger generated by the images of Katrina’s aftermath will be too quickly lost in the day-to-day survival, and will only be dredged up by the next mope wanting to point out why he (or she, as it very well may turn out to be) is better for the job than the last mope.

Change is a must at this point. Long live the Republic of Common Sense and Homeland Support. Where is Teddy when you need him?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home