Tuesday, September 27, 2005

While Sisyphus may love Sundays, I'm a Saturday man myself. College football, you know. But this past Saturday, I had the experience of watching CNN and FoxNews report on Rita's landfall. Several things jumped out at me.

Two severe hurricanes hitting the same general area in less than a month is not the Bush administration's fault. Nor is it the fault of the poor who lived there and could not/would not leave while they had the chance. Perhaps it is just me, but the attitude with which the conflicting news organizations portray thesese events is sickening. The blame game was set to begin anew before Rita's waves even hit the shore.

At one point, I masochistically did picture in picture of the two channels. I was able to watch one channel berate the president’s Rita efforts, while the other questioned the intelligence and will of those so poor they were unable to leave Rita’s path.

I hate television for this very reason. Were it not for college football, I would be rid myself of this idiot box. These news organizations, as they claim to be, were missing the story so they could bitch and moan in defense of a viewpoint.

To be sure, there was coverage of the area getting hit by the storm, but it seemed to be done in passing compared to the grandstanding by the so-called unbiased news channels.

And quietly, overshadowed (and rightly so) by this whole hurricane mess, was the resignation of FDA commissioner Crawford, a mere two months after the Senate confirmed him. One has to wonder how much the emergency contraceptive back-and-forth wore on Crawford. Was he told by the powers-that-be to delay the approval of the drug, and finally got tired of being a roadblock against proven science? I would like to hear more about this development…but then I’d have to turn on that television again.

As I said, I only own a television to watch college football. So finally, I, Stansfield, would like to congratulate the Ohio State Buckeyes on their win this weekend. In case you missed it, OSU won the toss and elected to kick the living crap out of Iowa. Good stuff.

Stansfield out.





P.S. - I am in no way related to this Stansfield.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home