Friday, September 30, 2005

I always attempt to hear a person out. Henry Rollins, one of my favorite artists, stresses the need and importance of listening in particular to your enemies or those you disagree with. One should know every aspect of their views so that you can come up with an educated and strong counterpoint.

So that’s why I link first to this interview with Bill Bennett and his attempt to explain the comments he made several days ago. In case you missed his original statement:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bennett said, "But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down."

He went on to call that "an impossible, ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that’s right! It is impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible! Why even state something like this? Free speech is wonderful, but this transcends the boundaries of common decency. You can read his explanation for yourself, and it actually does shed a bit of light on the context of the statement.

I am a Christian. Being so, I get automatically lumped in with that ‘Christian Right’ group that is associated with people like this, Pat Buchanan, and the like. As a Christian, I am supposed to vote straight-ticket Republican, apparently be a bigoted jerk, and not associate with pagans who don’t believe in God.

I’m sick of it. If you are one of those people who think the ‘Christian Right’ is a true political party, I would like to introduce you to the hate-filled statements of Bill Bennett. Here’s a little secret; God is not a Republican. Or a Democrat, for that matter. And while I can’t claim to know the divine thoughts of the creator, I can betcha that God is not down with the idea of aborting black babies to reduce the crime rate. Christians – hell, every decent American – should stand up and refuse to be counted with the likes of Mr. Bennett.

Want to talk God? I’m all for it. I love a good discussion about Christianity, Islam, any religion, and I promise to respect your views.

Want to preach hate and claim to be ‘Godly’? You’ve missed the entire point of being a Christian and I do not want my name tied to yours in any way.

And here’s what saddens me. I know ‘Christians’ who will be more upset about the fact that I as a Christian like Henry Rollins’ views and used the word ‘hell’ in my post than Bill Bennett’s statements.

‘So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.’ (Matthew 7:12)

I therefore urge again, it is time to form the Republic of Common Sense and Homeland Support. I promise, free speech for all until you prove you're an idiot.

Stansfield out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home